Monday, March 5, 2012

What are you - plotter or pantster?


There’s always a lot of talk between pantsters (seat of the pants writers) and plotters (those who LOVE outlines) about which is better.

Some writers are more creative when they have a plan laid out of where they’re going. The scenes are lined up, the chapters headed, and all they need to do is add description and dialogue. The goal looms ahead, they're on the right track, no deviations, just the story they planned to write.



Other writers do better if they let their characters take the reins and write the story themselves. Who knows where they'll end up, and who cares! The discovery is in the journey!

The more I write, the more I find I’m somewhere in between.

I can’t start a story unless I have a road map...but at the same time, once they’re on the road, my characters will surprise me with their own twists.



In the middle of a scene one of my characters will do something and I’ll say

Where did that come from? I didn’t know she was thinking that!

And


       * poof  *


there’s a sub-plot...
                  ...or twist...
                            ...or even a new secondary character writing itself for me.

Usually, I can head back to the road...

...but not until after an exciting shortcut to mushrooms.



So tell us, are you a pantster, plotter, or somewhere in between?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting you should post this just after I posted something similar on my blog last Friday! I think we middle-of-the-roadsters should demand equal representation in the plotter/pantser battle. Obviously anyone as well balanced as we are are on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're so right Valerie!

    The wisdom part, at least :)

    ReplyDelete