Thursday, July 8, 2010

WIP (Works in Progress)

Do all writers have multiple works in progress at a time? I really don’t know, but I suspect it has something to do with how we read. I always have multiple books that I’m reading at one time.

I’m always reading the Bible – I’m on my ninth year of reading the Bible through in a year. I’m also reading a new book published by Love Inspired – The Rancher’s Promise by Jillian Hart. I also try to keep a classical literature book going – currently it’s Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan. I have read retellings of the book before, but never the original. I’m reading it slowly – I’ll pick it up once every couple weeks. I’m usually also reading a non-fiction book, but I haven’t picked one up for awhile.

My writing seems to follow the same pattern. The writing I do for my blogs is daily, but short. I’m also working on a Christian romance set in a northern Indiana Amish community in the 1930’s. The first chapter is finished, and now the outline and characters are “cooking” in my mind. A long-term project, started a few years ago for a contest I didn’t win, is a retelling of Icelandic Sagas for young readers. It’s waiting on the back shelf until my youngest graduates from our homeschool and I’m not teaching anymore. Meanwhile, I pick up an Icelandic Saga to read once in awhile…And then the final project, and the one with the tightest deadline, is a book on homemaking skills written for girls. I’m the “contributing writer” – the project really belongs to Marmee Dear of the Homemaker’s Mentor (www.thehomemakersmentor.com/index.php). It’s a fun project, and I’m enjoying helping Martha work it up.

I’ll try to keep you updated on the various projects as we go along!

No comments:

Post a Comment